Welcome to Vagrant
We are a feral dog game set in Japan, based off the Ginga Nagareboshi Gin and Ginga Densetsu Weed manga/animes (though you do not need to be familiar with either in order to play here!). You can read more about the game here. If you already have an account, login - otherwise feel free to create an account and join us!
Photo

this is the land that fought for liberty, now when we fight we fight for bread

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Amaya

Amaya
  • Outsider
  • 5 posts

The female Akita's long legs stretched out into a trot as she made her way through the land of her home pack. The red brindle had grown up in these lands and she had always been a part of Hokkaido's prominent dog pack. Her mother and father had been members, as had their mother and father. She had heard firsthand accounts of the heroics of Hakuro and his children, of Gin and of Weed. There was not a thing that she didn't know about her home pack and its leaders. She was like a sponge when it came to knowledge; she would soak up everything that someone would tell her until she could repeat it back without any sort of a hitch. She had always been the one sitting at the feet of her mother and father while the rest of the litter gambled about, asking for more stories or for them to teach her things that they had not done so yet. The end result was that she felt that she knew everything about the land, their pack and how things were done.

Which was why she was out here right now, on the beach that ran the length of their land. It was a typical summer day for their island; cool and breezy, none of the humidity or the overbearing rains that the other parts of Japan dealt with. It was certainly no trial to be out here, listening to the waves crashing and the birds calling, striding over the sand. Her brown eyes were set on watching the area around her, though. This was, of course, where an attack would come if it ever came. They would have to come at them from the beach. Not that she was particularly expecting an attack to come right this moment or time, but it was still the most logical place to patrol about.

She was, however, very young still in the grand scheme of things. And she was untried and untested. Her parents had told her of great hunts, of long swims across from Hokkaido to the mainland, of wars fought and battles won. But she had never done any of those things. She had hunted amidst her brethren and taken small things for herself but she had never chased some sought after prey for miles upon miles, had never fought outside of squabbles with her siblings and had not seen war. She had heard of the war that had occurred in Ohu a year before and had wanted to go to help, after all Hokkaido was an ally of Ohu, but she had been so young her parents had forbade it. Now she searched for what she didn't know. More knowledge, perhaps, or the tantalizing temptress that was adventure. Something that most young things craved and yet had little idea of how dangerous and terrible it could really be.

With all the attention span - or lack thereof - of any young thing, she was distracted from her task at hand as she drifted closer to the edge of the beach and the water splashed against her paws. With a happy, high-pitched bark she jumped up and then dashed forward to run through the waves, a trail of spray from her actions left in her wake.

Tetsuo

Tetsuo
  • Outsider
  • 6 posts

How long had he been sitting here? It had to have been a few hours, he simply sat on the beach, motionless. He blinked, he breathed, but stared out into the distance relentlessly. It was rare that Tetsuo was seen away from his brother, but when he was one could assume he was in one of his more meditative moments. He wasn't evil, no, but he had a burning in his heart to fell the Doberman hat had killed his father and wounded his brother. He stared out a the ocean, hoping that the beast would arrive on the coast now and take him on. He would rip the dog apart; Tetsuya and Tetsuo were vicious fighters. Of course they were better if fighting together, but even alone Tetsuo was to be reckoned with. It was in his blood, the desire to attack and fight to the death. To lay all the chips on the table and give it your all. Water neared him, and the waves eventually hit his paws. As if taken out of his trance, Tetsuo immediately jumped up, hackles raised and baring his fangs in a silent growl; he was not one for loudness, but rather a calm killing. While others would look at the innards of a fellow dog and look away in fear or disgust, Tetsuo would hardly react at all. He was mesmerized by blood and the things that came with it; he was not phased by death or murder. However the moment he saw that it was only water, he calmed down, if one did not know him, one could have defined his profile as refined. He was of good breeding, but with that he sacrificed bits of his sanity; it was no secret that Tetsuo and his brother made vendettas easily, and it was no secret that Tesuo was rather paranoid. His ears flicked; he must have been in this trance for a long time. The tides had changed.

Shaking his head, Tetsuo scanned the horizon before continuing on his general patrol. Unlike others, Tetsuo did not patrol relentlessly, and though he had no qualms with calling out unfamiliar faces, he did not find border patrols to be of high importance. What he did believe to be important, however, was an ambush. He did not want to be taken by surprise. He was paranoid of being taken by surprise; his brother and he had won over Hokkaido fairly, they had defeated local kings and queens to ascend to their peak together. And while they were not the official leaders of Hokkaido, they would always have the air about them that if they truly wanted to, they could take over Hokkaido. But leading was not Tetsuo's destiny. Protection of his family - although he wasn't close to anyone except his brother - was important; he would not allow harm to come across Hokkaido unexpectedly. Was that to say he could name the Akita who now roamed the beach? Not at all; but he recognised her by sight. He may vow revenge for her killer, hypothetically, of course, but it was only truly meant if his brother were involved. They were eachother's shadows, eachother's souls. To fight one was to trigger the help of the other, and few who truly opposed them lived to tell of it - the minor scraps they had for the most part, resulted in submission, surrender, not death. Not to say they themselves had not killed when the enemy had claimed surrender. Why stop if all they saw was red? Red as a rose.

He turned his head now, the white Hokkaido dog now taking into account the young Akita. He knew of her, but knew nothing of her name. His true, blood, family was the only thing he could really care about. Some might have thought Tetsuo to be dangerous, and yet the dog was not always so; he was not sadistic. He did not gain pleasure from torture, but he did enjoy the thrill of the kill, he did enjoy proving that he was better and enjoyed lifting the souls out of others as if they were all collected in his fangs to be used as a sword against the next foe. He tried to be more forgiving and less violent, but it was not of his nature. Watching the younger dog bark and run through the water, Tetsuo could only look on with a sort of disapproval. His puppyhood had been one of training, and it had ended when he saw his father die. Akarex had been as white as milk, with no black markings to speak of. Instead, his father had been riddled with scars; Tetsuya had told him their father had been born with a scar, thus his name; 'Red King', king of blood! It fit the hunting dog spirit, but no dog had deserved to die from such a coward. His ears flicked again, the waves were moving in, and Tetsuo did not trust the water. He could swim, yes, but he was not like Gin, he could not hold his breath, and with only one eye, he had a hard tome trusting the depths of the ocean. "Watch yourself," Tetsuo barked. His voice was naturally quiet, so when he spoke loudly it took much effort on his part. His words were quick, and not truly trying to discourage her. She could do what she wished, she was not his sister, and nor was she among the 'royal' family of Hokkaido. Tetsuo would only vow revenge when her soul had left her body, and not a moment before.

Even if I dream, even if I cry, even if I get hurt,
reality keeps on coming recklessly.
I wanna find out where I am, the value of being me!
Gonna take who I've been up till now,
and find the strength to throw it all away-
strip down to nothing at all.
Become like a rose petal blowing free!
Even if the two of us are ever torn apart,
I swear that I will change the world.

Tetsuya

Tetsuya
  • Outsider
  • 4 posts
I'm not afraid of the past no more.
I'm not afraid that I'm bad for good.

{{OCC:---}}
I used to dance to the devil's beat,
If I could bust into hell I would.

The older brother walked with calculating steps, as if at any moment the earth beneath his paws would give out and plunge him straight to hell. In many ways Tetsuya was like his brother, Tetsuo, in that he had an underlying paranoia; perhaps it was not as apparent as in the younger part of the duo, but one would often see the scarred hunting-dog looking askance, as if he saw devils in every corner. Right now, his gaze kept being drawn to the white froth of the sea; it had compelled him, luring him to walk by its edge as it whispered to him legends of old. Tetsuya was not particularly bothered by solitude in itself, but being away from his other half did plant seeds of worry in his mind - how could it not, after that fateful day so many years ago? Of course, he knew very well that his brother was capable of defending himself, but even their father had been bested in the end. It was not out of worry that Tetsuya found himself patrolling their territory, but it was rather an act brought on by restlessness. Though he enjoyed his moments of rest, inertia was a state of pain to him - he had to keep himself going in one way or another, even if it just meant taking a casual stroll along the shore of Hokkaido. It was not the best method of soothing a restless soul, but it was less violent than a fight of life and death. Tetsuya's past was stained with sin, yet he had no real qualms about his actions. Not to say that he was necessarily proud of them, or that he didn't occasionally descend into a state of depression while reflecting upon the past, but it wasn't something that he constantly dwelt upon - much unlike the unfortunate fate of his father and siblings.

With a flicker of his ears he caught the muffled sound of someone or something playing in the water, just a few ways off. Parts of the shore were littered with driftwood and other garbage, forcing Tetsuya to climb these obstacles or simply walk around them. It was frightening to have one's vision obscured like that while the voice of the sea relentlessly talked on, and the throng of the forest lay on the other side, pinning he who dared tread the sand between a rock and a hard place. Tetsuya, however, was no stranger to these parts or to the mindset of fiends and predators. His skills had been honed under a fierce regime in his youth, and he'd be damned if he didn't make good use of them. He could feel the scent of the female amidst the smell of the sea and - indeed! - his brother's familiar odour. Was it fate, that they were seemingly drawn to one another's side without any real thought behind the action? Perhaps Tetsuya had simply picked up his brother's scent subconsciously, and thus followed it to this place. Either way, it didn't really matter. Tetsuya was curious about the other dog who, he presumed, was the source of the noise. There was a hint of familiarity to her scent which made him think that she was a dog born and raised in Hokkaido, though he would have to make further inquiries to be sure.

"The sea tells stories of old," Tetsuya mused as he drew closer to the Akita, eyeing her fiercely but not unkindly, as if trying to make out what ilk she was made out of simply by observing her features. As he had previously sensed, he could confirm that Tetsuo was indeed presence; he hardly needed more than a fleeting glance to confirm this. A stranger might have read his behaviour as being nonchalant, unfriendly even, but it was the pure opposite - he knew his brother well and felt at ease in his present, there was no need for him to keep the other in constant view, for as long as he could make out Tetsuo in the corner of his eye he knew that he was safe. Tetsuya needn't acknowledge the presence of Tetsuo either, for they became aware of these things through subtle forms of communication such as swift glances, a flicker of the ear, or other such minute, subconscious movements. Perhaps it was even less than that. "What is your name?" he asked. Tetsuya was not one to be impolite, and even though he wouldn't forbid the Akita to spend her time playing in the water, he was still curious about her, even if this curiosity only stemmed from the need to fill his days with something else than dark plottings against the creature that had shattered his world, and left him and his brother to try and put the pieces all back together again.

Word Count: 808
For GG - Made by Klomonx

The Salamander
The Dragon and the Urchin
The hidden miracle of the Eucharist
Creed and virtue
Kept in confinement,
The miracle of the rose
Human-beast-flower
Pearl and jewel
The age of man
Floral diamond and cross

Amaya

Amaya
  • Outsider
  • 5 posts

The cool, clear water felt good on her paws as she ran through the waves. Every few steps she would bounce, leap forward some, and just generally romp through the water. Amaya was quite used to playing with herself. She wasn't a loner by any means. She could spend hours learning on her own and then come back and spend hours with her siblings or some of the other dogs in the pack. It was just that, some days, some of the others found her a bit much to be around when she was quoting things she had learned or spouting some proverb that the older dogs liked to speak about to the younger crowd. It was during those times that she had learned to keep herself entertained so that she wouldn't fully annoy the others in the pack. After all, her teachings had given her the mindset of most devoted pack members - the pack came first and keeping harmony within it was top priority. They couldn't survive if everyone was bickering and snapping at one another. She was young and overzealous, but she was smart, and so she had learned to just take herself out of situations that might turn into something larger. And so she had learned what a wonderful toy nature itself could be.

Though she believed herself well informed and well equipped to do what many others had done before her, Amaya was still young, younger than most of the dogs that counted as soldiers and protectors. She had the keen senses of any other canine, of course, but distractions and being used to being on her own at least some of the time meant that she had not perfected the art of being continuously aware of her surroundings. It was easy enough for the two brothers to draw near while she was splashing about, barking, racing here and there and generally enjoying herself. And so it actually startled her somewhat when another canine spoke out, telling her to watch herself. She stumbled just slightly over her paws in surprise at the barked order. The female slowed to a stop, long legs still standing within the surf as it moved up the beach and then back in a constant rhythm. Her tongue lolled out of her mouth and her brown eyes focused on the Hokkaido dog that had spoken. He wasn't one of the oldest dogs in the pack by a long shot, but the intensity and force of his personality certainly made him seem that way. Oh, yes, she definitely recognized the one-eyed Tetsuo even if their interactions had been more than a little limited until this point time. Her curled tail waved once or twice before she spoke. "Did I splash you at all, sir? I hope I didn't. Oh, but I couldn't help myself. I find it to be quite enjoyable out here, don't you agree? Nothing but the sun and the waves and the lone call of birds at sea." Not that she hated the inland at all but there was something very nice about the long stretch of sand and rocks and the water that rushed back and forth constantly.

Before she could continue on, another dog had appeared. Tetsuya. That was little surprise. Any dog that lived in Hokkaido knew that you rarely found one without the other. Well, and that was how it should be! Amaya certainly had nothing against her own siblings and she could often be found in the company of them. Why should it be any different with these two? Of course she had heard of their history - dogs told tales, after all - but even if there hadn't been that then it would still be perfectly natural for them to be around one another more often than not. The Akita gave herself a brisk shake, dispelling some of the misty drops of water that had built up on her coat from the spray of the ocean - a moot point, really, given that she was still standing in the shallows where the water was constantly moving. She would only get soaked again. The curled tail gave another wag of greeting as the other Hokkaido dog drew near. "Amaya, sir," she answered him straightaway. She certainly had nothing to hide, after all, and these two were of much higher rank than she herself was. Amaya was not a dog that set out to make enemies.

Tetsuo

Tetsuo
  • Outsider
  • 6 posts
You'll take my life, but I'll take yours too!
You'll fire your musket, but I'll run you through!

So when you're waiting for the next attack,
you better understand, there's no turning back.

"The sea tells stories of old, what is your name?"
"Did I splash you at all, sir? I hope I didn't. Oh, but I couldn't help myself. I find it to be quite enjoyable out here, don't you agree? Nothing but the sun and the waves and the lone call of birds at sea. Amaya, sir."

Tetsuo looked out over the ocean, above Amaya and outward. He hardly saw his brother; his blind spot was large, but he could not mistake the voice that appeared. It seemed as if Tetsuo had sent out a distress call when the water hit his paws - a false alarm, but one could never be too careful. "No, you are fine, Amaya." He snorted, dissecting her name. He recalled the vague images of her siblings and parents; yes, she was of no threat - at the moment, anyway - she, not unlike himself, was of a bloodline that had spent generations residing along here. She probably knew more about them than he could place about her. This troubled Tetsuo slightly; she had an advantage over him, but she was young. He had seniority, if only in about two or so meager years. He looked very detached from the conversation; speaking was not one of his strong points. His older brother was much better at speaking than he. "The water can swallow you if you tread out too far. There are sharks not far off the coast, forever waiting to beach themselves." Leviathans and behemoths of the deep probably laughed at the likes of Tetsuo, who could not gauge their depths. However as long as he breathed air and they water, he was at an advantage as long as he stayed out of their way.

Pausing, Tetsuo lifted his gaze from Amaya to the driftwood covered beach, passing over his brother as if he were invisible. "She is of a long bloodline, her parents and grandparents were born here, brother." Tetsuo concluded, circling closer to Amaya and sitting just out of the way of the tide's line on the beach. She could play as much as she wished, for now she was safe with the attending lifeguards. "The sea is much too deep and the sky much too bright. The silence is unsettling at best, but perhaps it is a godsend." Tetsuo turned to look behind him, his eye scanning the world that lay inland, once, twice, and thrice over. The sea may have been loud, but the relative remote location of the trio of dogs meant that an intruder would have to be pretty much invisible to fly under either his or his brother's radar. He had seen much in his time, but an invisible dog? It was impossible...at least, so Tetsuo hoped. As if hearing something out of the ordinary, he stood up and his ears stood erect. He sniffed the air, as if something troubled him and he wished to prove or deny its existence. When nothing appeared, he slowly resumed his quiet meditation. His breathing was calm and silent, his fur hardly moved, even at the wind drifting off from the water. Amaya was a brindled blur in his eye. His brother was nothing more than a presence to his right; he paid him no mind.

When was the last time he could recall of being a carefree pup? What was the last memory he had of feeling as if all was right with the world? His last happy moment drifted to perhaps the night before - or of - the attack. He remembered dozing next to a fire with his siblings and father nearby - he remembered thinking that nothing could destroy what they had, and not even death could separate them. He remembered dreaming that night of the next day, where he would perhaps learn more of the world around him. How young had he been, how much had he learned since that day? He struggled to remember. His childhood was blurred between reality and nightmares, hallucinations and figments of his imagination, signs that the monster coming to ruin his family that none saw in time. He tried to remember the mood, the scents, of when the monster arrived. Tried to remember the monster's face. But his face had been covered in blood, he had been blinded for a majority of the fight. He only remembered that the eyes glowed like the devils, and the fangs could carve bone like wood. He never questioned if this monster was a dream; it was real. His father had died by the demon, he had been separated from his family. One day when the monster reared his head, Tetsuo would not let him leave alive. He fell into this meditating stance, his eye seemingly glossed over and his ears gently twitching back and forth. Perhaps he was asleep - but perhaps not? It was hard to tell for sure.

Word Count: 907

Tetsuya

Tetsuya
  • Outsider
  • 4 posts

"Amaya, sir,"

"The water can swallow you if you tread out too far. There are sharks not far off the coast, forever waiting to beach themselves."

A fleeting smirk moved across Tetsuya's lips; it did not surprise him when his brother gave his morbid warnings. Caution was important, and the Hokkaido dog would even go as far as to say that knowledge was more vital than ignorant bliss. Not to say that he didn't wish he still had the luxury of the latter, but... well, it was all a bit too late now, wasn't it? He gave a nod to Amaya, "My name is Tetsuya - ah, but you may already know this," he said, almost a tad apologetically. It was hard to tell who knew of him and who didn't, although if one knew of one of the Hokkaido brothers one usually knew of the other, as it was rather easy to tell that they were related. Not to mention that rumours moved fast across the Japanese island. It did not bother him, rumours were simply words - words meant to hurt, sometimes, it was true, but what did it matter if his family's past was carried through the country on the wind? The more the truth was whispered, the better, and if his tormentor caught the words of revenge in the cold breeze, then all the better. Let him know. Tetsuya jumped onto a fallen tree that lay stretched on the beach, his eyes, too, surveying the edge of the forest as he settled down, his one paw dangling off the side of the dead tree and his tail neatly curled over his back.

"She is of a long bloodline, her parents and grandparents were born here, brother. The sea is much too deep and the sky much too bright. The silence is unsettling at best, but perhaps it is a godsend."

"I see," said Tetsuya with a nod. It made his heart sting when his brother told him of her bloodline; images of the past forced their way through his mind to his inner eyes, showing him just what kind of an end bloodlines in this world could expect - no, it wasn't an end. Not yet. He was still alive, wasn't he? His brother was still alive, wasn't he? As if to confirm this, Tetsuya threw a nervous glance in the direction of Tetsuo. Indeed, there was a figure over there, and unless this was a dream or mere hallucination, he wasn't alone in this world. He breathed out in relief and let his eyes fall on Amaya again. His brother's words may seem ominous, but to him, they were proof of their kinship. He wouldn't want his brother any other way. "I would rather have silence than cacophony--" he said, stopping himself from expanding upon the thought, "don't you agree, brother?" he continued after a few seconds.

Eventually, Tetsuya let the curtains fall upon his eyes, but only for a brief moment. When he re-opened them, the world seemed a little clearer. It hadn't changed much from before, aside from the position of the water and the clouds in the sky. Aside from that, he still saw Amaya and Tetsuo in front of him. None had come to take them away, and for that he was glad. "Don't let my brother's words trouble you, Amaya. Can you tell me the name of your parents and grandparents? It would be interesting to hear about you." It might have just been small talk, but sometimes small talk could be interesting in its own way and open up pathways to greater conversations. At least this was how Tetsuya had forced himself to think; and, indeed, it took his mind off other things, if only a little bit. Perhaps he would know of Amaya's parents or grandparents, maybe he wouldn't, but if they talked the silence which Tetsuo disliked would be dispersed, if only slightly.

Word Count: 755
For GG - Made by Klomonx

The Salamander
Creed and virtue
Kept in confinement,
The miracle of the rose
Human-beast-flower
Pearl and jewel
The age of man
Floral diamond and cross

Amaya

Amaya
  • Outsider
  • 5 posts

Amaya's curled tail waved once or twice in a friendly greeting and in response to the fact that the elder, higher ranked dog had not punished or snarled at her frivolity and what it might have done. There were many dogs that would have snarled had she gotten too close with her splashing about. It was mildly surprising to her, but then although neither of the two Hokkaido dogs were really that much older than she was they were still older. They had a bit of time on her as well as a much higher rank. That made them seem to be older and strict, stern even. Her gaze followed Tetsuo's as he looked out over the water and her head cocked to the side just a bit as he spoke of the water being dangerous and of sharks and other creatures. "I had not planned on going out too far, sir," she stated instead of saying the obvious - that of course she knew that the water could get dangerous if you went out too far. She had only been in the shallowest sections of it. It wouldn't do to be too rude with her knowledge.

The Akita straightened up a little as Tetsuya introduced himself. "Of course I know of you! I know of you both! You are regents of our pack and territory and you help to guard us all." Well, perhaps that was a bit of a stretch. They were dedicated to protecting the great Hakuro's kin but given that there were a fair amount of those that resided within Hokkaido's pack, well, it all added up to the same thing in the young dog's mind. Of course, she didn't know much of them. She had never met them before and had only heard stories, and the stories didn't really give much insight into their demeanor. She felt herself bristle just a little as her lineage was explained, as if it had ever been in question! Her head tilted to the side at the rather strange and almost prophetic sounding words that came from Tetsuo - and at the acknowledgement and the words from Tetsuya. They were far from her understanding. Even if she had understood their reasoning, she had never been robbed of her family (or left without an eye or full of scars). Her knowledge of many things might be fairly high, but she had no personal, first hand knowledge of what might make two brothers act in such a way.

At the question from Tetsuya, Amaya straightened up. It wasn't uncommon for many dogs to be able to recite their ancestors, but she knew hers by heart. Most of the Hokkaido dogs seemed to. It was a source of pride for them all to be able to reel off a list of ancestors and to name their deeds if so asked; pride, and bragging rights as well. "Certainly. My mother is Tsukiko and my father is Tsuyoshi. My mother's mother is Umeko and her father was Yasuhiro. My father's mother is Aiko and his father is Nobuyuki." With each name she felt herself swell with pride. Her family was no Hakuro, no Gin, but that didn't stop her from feeling pride in her long lineage and while they were not the canines of legends they had done their fair share for the Hokkaido pack throughout their lives. "Would you care to know more? There are my siblings and my parents' siblings as well. I can recite many things for you if you wish." She might have been bragging, but it wasn't uncommon for her to enjoy showing off her memory and her knowledge.

Tetsuo

Tetsuo
  • Outsider
  • 6 posts
You'll take my life, but I'll take yours too!
You'll fire your musket, but I'll run you through!

So when you're waiting for the next attack,
you better understand, there's no turning back.

"My name is Tetsuya - ah, but you may already know this. I see. I would rather have silence than cacophony-- don't you agree, brother? Don't let my brother's words trouble you, Amaya. Can you tell me the name of your parents and grandparents? It would be interesting to hear about you.”
"I had not planned on going out too far, sir. Of course I know of you! I know of you both! You are regents of our pack and territory and you help to guard us all. Certainly. My mother is Tsukiko and my father is Tsuyoshi. My mother's mother is Umeko and her father was Yasuhiro. My father's mother is Aiko and his father is Nobuyuki.  Would you care to know more? There are my siblings and my parents' siblings as well. I can recite many things for you if you wish.”

Tetsuo remained stoic, his lone eye seemed to gallop over the distant waves, as if it were a spyglass. His breathing was so subtle that one would think he was holding his breath. The only sign of life in the dog's stance was the flickering of his ears, being not unlike the antennae of insects smelling the world around them. “Silence proves much better for concentration.” Tetsuo nodded as a reply to his brother's words, avoiding the imagery in the back of his mind that reared its horse upwards in response to the word 'cacophony'. A word that detonated as many sounds as possible in its rather basic make up. For Tetsuo, these sounds were of that night, of the crunching of wood and bone and grass. Of the flaying of skin and the reddening of fur. The word described the monster's voice. How it reverberated through his bones, even though he could not recall a word from the moment. His father was indeed the red king, in the end, while his sons newly indoctrinated into their prince-ship, though not heroically and not honorably. They were tainted red.

“Even so,” Tetsuo spoke to the young Akita, “things wash up inland. Not everything is quite dead when it reaches the land, and in their last act of vengeance, they would not hesitate to take you down with them. Or any of us, for that matter. And if the danger come not from the sea, it will come from the air and the gulls.” Tetsuo looked up to a clear sky; no sign of birds, and no signs of death. Relief was at hand for a moment. Did he feel pride in being the Regent of Hokkaido? Would he protect Amaya if she were in danger? Chances were, he would rather avenge her than save her. But her bloodline was an admirable one, and perhaps it would put him at fault to do so. There was honour not just in rank, but in history. If the blood stretched back far and wide enough, it was all too likely that her family meant something to someone here, and to let her slip away was an act of political treason. Not that Tetsuo was worried about committing such; he was much more worried about being on the receiving end of such. “Have you always been strays, Amaya? Or does your family have roots with the humans and hunters of the area?” Tetsuo did not recognize any of the names off hand, but his elder brother, who knew more of the past than he, may have recognized a few. Tetsuo waited to be reminded by either party what he was ignorant of. Logic would dictate that Amaya's family had to have had an owner at once, being that their breed was not popular in the area – but Tetsuo was sure there were exceptions. And what if her grandparents had been involved with Akakabuto, or Hakuro when he slew the brown bear? Tetsuo had only general knowledge on this subject. “So you have siblings. How many?” Tetsuo glanced toward his brother; he could relate to family and their ties, and knew what it was like to be separated from them. Perhaps he felt some envy or pity on poor Amaya, who may one day suffer a similar fate.

Word Count: 564

Tetsuya

Tetsuya
  • Outsider
  • 4 posts

"I had not planned on going out too far, sir. Of course I know of you! I know of you both! You are regents of our pack and territory and you help to guard us all. Certainly. My mother is Tsukiko and my father is Tsuyoshi. My mother's mother is Umeko and her father was Yasuhiro. My father's mother is Aiko and his father is Nobuyuki. Would you care to know more? There are my siblings and my parents' siblings as well. I can recite many things for you if you wish.”

“Silence proves much better for concentration.”

The older brother had spent many days, and many more nights still in perfect silence, reflecting upon life and its cruel whims as some kind of canine philosopher - he was nothing of the kind, although prone to brooding. However, could Tetsuya be blamed? It was a way for him to cope with the world to which he had been born into; if he had not had his mind, as broken and unwelcoming a place it could be, there would have been little respite to find on this side of the river Styx. Of course, the Hokkaido-dog still had his brother, his beloved kin who was more like an extension of his own consciousness than a completely different being, birthed from the same mother; but, what use would he have been to Tetsuo, if he had not been able to hide in the calming, cold silence when the outside pressure became too hard to bear?

It was a tad amusing to hear the young Akita speak with such fervour after Tetsuya's introduction - not the kind of mirth called forth by a feeling of superiority, rather it was a sort of bewildered amusement, beckoned by the still young, bright enthusiasm of youth. Tetsuya had no delusions when it came to his own worth, or indeed his importance. Naturally, he was quite aware of his position, but he took care to use it in such a way that befit a good leader. He was not a red king, but he, too, was stained by their father's lineage, and it was only a matter of time before the wounds of old would open up and the blood claim a fresh victim to throw the kingdom of Hokkaido into a new era, filled with the confusion that preceded regicide.

“Even so, things wash up inland. Not everything is quite dead when it reaches the land, and in their last act of vengeance, they would not hesitate to take you down with them. Or any of us, for that matter. And if the danger come not from the sea, it will come from the air and the gulls. Have you always been strays, Amaya? Or does your family have roots with the humans and hunters of the area? So you have siblings. How many?”

Tetsuya nodded, both at the names mentioned and at his brother's words, seemingly absent-mindedly. His gaze was locked in a sideways glance, caught on an uninteresting point by the shoreline. Quickly, he blinked his eyes and re-centered his gaze to be between the two other dogs. "The names do seem to ring a bell, if only faintly - perhaps I am thinking of different canines entirely, but I have heard at least one of the names being mentioned in regards to hunting dogs in the area; I'm afraid that I don't know more," he said, rather apologetically, with a semblance of a frown on his face, "there are a great deal of dogs, both feral and domestic, that have crossed our paths, or that of our ancestors, so it would hardly surprise me if any of the tales you have to tell would jog our memories further." Indeed, if Amaya's lineage was long and distinguished, it would not come as a shock if some of the older relations of the Akita had hunted side by side with the Hokkaido brothers' grandparents.

Word Count: 762
For GG - Made by Klomonx

The Salamander
Creed and virtue
Kept in confinement,
The miracle of the rose
Human-beast-flower
Pearl and jewel
The age of man
Floral diamond and cross

Amaya

Amaya
  • Outsider
  • 5 posts

Tetsuo seemed unduly reserved and stiff, unbending as much as the firm trunks of the trees that were scattered around their island. Then again, she supposed that they had a terribly serious duty and perhaps only those with a a terribly serious personality could engage in such a duty. Amaya had never much considered that before, given how young she still was. The future seemed such a vastly far away thing. What would she do with the rest of her life? Might she not want a life full of duty and honor such as the two brothers? Why think of it, given that it was so far away? There were stories to share and things to learn now, weren't there? Her ears flicked back once, slightly, as if she were affronted by the curtness of the statement about things drifting to shore. It wasn't as if she were a puppy, after all! She had lived here her whole (very short) life and had seen many things within the waves of the shore. She couldn't stop a slight laugh as she glanced up at the air, letting out an eager sounding bark towards the bright blue sky. "Just let them come and try!" She had chased a fair few seagulls in her day and had yet to experience the act of them mobbing another canine.

Amaya continued to sit up straight as her family lineage was discussed. It was an unending sense of pride to her to have such a distinguished lineage. Her family had always been in Hokkaido and had always been immersed in the goings-on of the pack and the land. "I have many siblings, yes! And many family members. My aunts and uncles have also had many pups over the years." For most, that would probably seem a bit overwhelming. She could almost not turn around without somehow running into some relation. Amaya was pleased, though. Her family was prestigious, at least in her mind, and to see them everywhere meant that they were thriving. There would always be an Akita from her family somewhere on Hokkaido and, odds were, there would always be at least one in the main pack. "I can recite most of them as well." She paused for a moment, head tilting just a tiny bit at the question of if they were all strays or if they were owned by humans. "All sorts reside in my family line, sir. There are those with the humans and those who leave the humans, those who are born within the pack and stay there. There are many stories of all of them." The ones she had heard the most of, of course, were those that had lived with the pack, those who had grown here, those who remembered Hakuro and the other leaders of Hokkaido. Those were the real interesting stories, after all.

Despite the fact that neither of the brothers sounded overly interested past a sort of cool courtesy, Amaya couldn't help but wag her curled tail some at the attention that she was receiving. She wouldn't say that she was denied attention overly much or even that she desired acknowledgement but it was still nice to receive regardless. "I know many stories of the exploits of my family and of the times when Hokkaido went to the aid of those within Ohu." Those, after all, were practically bedtime stories for a litter of squirming pups. She had been fed those as much as she had been fed real food. Hokkaido dogs were always brash and fearless, reckless and brave and always came out on top in those stories. "I have even heard some of your exploits." Though they didn't always make the best tail fodder. The ones of Hakuro and Gin were the ones that really captivated an audience, after all.

From there, though, Amaya was floundering on what to do or say. To invite them to walk with her along the beach seemed almost disrespectful. To tell them a story of themselves seemed strange and embarrassing. They certainly weren't making it exactly easy on her, either. They were older, they were distant and from how the tales went they only cared for each other and for the safety of the leaders of Hokkaido. It didn't exactly invite familiarity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users