Welcome to Vagrant
We are a feral dog game set in Japan, based off the Ginga Nagareboshi Gin and Ginga Densetsu Weed manga/animes (though you do not need to be familiar with either in order to play here!). You can read more about the game here. If you already have an account, login - otherwise feel free to create an account and join us!
Photo

Don't It Make You Feel So Bad?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Norman

Norman
  • Outsider
  • 5 posts

How does my heart taste to you?
Is it nice seeing me on my knees?
Is it nice being covered in my blood?
{{OCC:Chuck first, then open, I guess. Fail starting post. }}
Is it nice?
Let my love melt in your mouth
Give me back this pain!
Let me suffer again!

The morning; when was the last time he had slept until noon? As far as Norman could remember, it never happened since before he opened his eyes. His dreams were always disturbed by the sound of his mother's voice, right on time, every day, every endless day. The sun was up - it was eight or nine, by his estimate, he remembered telling time by the sun - and now was he. He lay on the ground, his head not lifting and he was quite...reluctant to sit up. He had settled in amongst some trash bags and it was quite comfortable there. Sighing, he kept his head cushioned against one bag as his ears lifted and looked alert. He was slowly springing to life, although he was still quite tired. There was no point in getting up, he supposed, but he couldn't shut his eyes again. He felt his mother's shadow upon him, repeating his name in that voice of her's. She'd say it over and over again until he would be forced to get up. And if he didn't? He could feel her breath upon his neck, his fur becoming humid and blowing. He whined before he realised there was no voice, no breath.

It was the wind. His sad eyes closed and he shut them tightly, whispering to himself. "She isn't there. Not anymore. N-not.." His whisperings mumbled away, and when his eyes opened again he no longer felt the phantom in his shadow. He stood up now, almost proud to have done so under his own word, not on her's. His word was something of independence, and he wagged his tail slightly; today would be good, right? His mother wouldn't badger him, he could be himself for now. Was he hungry? Thirsty? He didn't seem to feel anything, which disappointed him. He wanted to take it upon himself to do everything without her now, but he could do nothing. He was disappointed, and the tail wagging stopped, his mouth began to frown. He sat down mournfully, almost as if he had truly felt some sadness. But it would pass, he guess. He didn't even notice those around him, he simply sat and gazed at the area around him. He wondered about the buildings and movement of the people; he wondered what he knew about them. People lived bloated lives in those houses, full of food or otherwise. It was odd how humans could get so obese; Norman wondered if they ever exploded; was that what statues were? Dead humans? His head tilted, the thought was absurd, it was much more likely that the statues were rocks or some other thing. He shook his head and didn't care anymore, he would rather focus on doing something on his own, as far away form his mother as possible.

Word Count: 589

"Mother... Oh God, mother! Blood! Blood!"

Chuck

Chuck
  • Outsider
  • 7 posts

Chuck had slowly begun growing used to spending time in the nebulous backyard. In all actuality, it should have been a comfort to him. After all, he had been raised out on the streets and the fence was something of a security blanket - ensuring that nothing could come in and terrorize him. For all that, though, he just about had a panic attack every time their human put him and Mikey outside. As much as he hadn't quite grown used to the human he was absolutely, one hundred percent certain that when the human decided that they should go outside and shut the door behind them that they were doomed. He would forget about the both of them, they would slowly shrivel up to nothing and starve to death. Or, worse, they were just being temporarily held back there until the people from the shelter came and took them back. Even worse than both of those was when it was just Chuck put out here. Then he was sure he was the reject, he was the one being taken back or left to die all by himself without the human he had grown used to or Mike, who was his security blanket and the only thing he could cling onto in this world. Just the very thought of it made the large dog quake. It hadn't happened and slowly, slowly, he was beginning to come around to the fact that, together or alone, he wasn't going to be left to die out here or be abandoned but he still couldn't help but worry and freeze up anytime they were put in the yard.

And he also couldn't help but freeze up and then begin to slowly panic when he heard things in the alleyway just outside of the house. There was the sound of movement and of a voice that sounded severely distressed and all Chuck could do was flatten himself against the grass of the yard like he could somehow sink into it, bury himself away from being found. Unfortunately, he had not yet acquired the ability to transfer through surfaces or to survive such an ability. So all that really happened was that he remained flat against the ground, looking for all intents and purposes like a flattened rug full of golden fur. Slowly he moved his head a little, just enough to dislodge one of the bangs of fur that hung down over his eyes and shielded him from the rest of the world. One blue eye peered out over the backyard, staring as he waited for something terrible to happen. When nothing did he slowly and gingerly pushed himself up from his position and continued to peer around the backyard. Still nothing. Maybe he had imagined it? Mikey did tell him that he had a pretty overactive imagination most days.

Okay, he could do this. He could do this. He just had to look and find the problem (or the fact that there wasn't really one). He could confront his fears. Then he would see that they had no grounding in reality. Right? Right. Right. Good. He could do this. Slowly he crept across the expanse of the yard, pausing every few feet to check and see if something had invaded the territory or come to eat him. Chuck never put anything past... well, anything again. Not after he had met that demon cat monster thing that seemed determined to make his life a living hell. He finally made his way across the yard to the loose slat in the fence. It was the only one and actually was a bit of a tight squeeze for both him and Mikey to get through, but it was there; a ticket to freedom that Chuck really didn't want most days, but it kept Mikey sane at least. Relatively sane. His long nose poked the board aside, holding it open, nostrils quivering as he drew in the scents from the Outside. Slowly the rest of his head followed enough that he could peek one eye out as well, turning his head from side to side. His gaze eventually landed on another dog so abruptly that he hadn't even expected it. The "sudden" appearance of the other dog startled a yelp from him, a move which would no doubt draw attention to himself despite his attempts to be at least marginally subtle.

There were days when each hour was a war I fought to survive
There were nights full of nightmares and I dreaded closing my eyes
There were skies that burst open with a downpour to drown me alive
But the world took a spark like a match in the dark and the fire brought me to life

mikechucktag.png

Norman

Norman
  • Outsider
  • 5 posts

{{OCC:}}
Is it nice?
Give me back this pain!
Let me suffer again!

What was that? Norman's peaceful gaze was disrupted, and he sprang to his paws. His face was alert, his ears perked, and a nervous, yet grim, smile drifted off of his mouth. He wasn't mean, and probably wasn't a fighter, probably, but he had his odd intelligence about him. He wasn't street smart, nor book smart, but the odd bis of trivia he knew he knew well; his thoughts were just as odd as he was. The Shepherd mix now focused, inhaled and lifted his front paw slowly, s if testing the direction the sound had come from. Nothing else around him reacted, with the exception of the movements of the garbage his paws much have hit in the clatter. His eyes darted around until he saw the fence; he obviously wasn't used to looking for other dogs, as he hadn't even thought about sniffing for the dog. It was not until the fence caught his interest that his nose suddenly seemed to awake. It told him there was another dog, perhaps on the other side of the fence. Norman tilted his head and lowered his nose to the ground as he approached. He knew little of pet dogs; he also had little idea of how other wild dogs could act. He could only guess that they would be selfish; strangers always were.

"E-excuse me?" Norman growled, trying to sound as if he was not as unsure and as scared as he was. However the look on his face would have destroyed his facade; he looked about as threatening as a rabbit with a little more fur. No, his danger was much more... psychological. But Norman did not know that word and would not use it; he only approached the bit in the fence and nudged it with his nose. He jumped back at how it moved, but did not run away. He was curious; his curiosity overwhelmed his fear. Nudging it a little further so he could see in, he saw a strange furry mass of a golden colour. This certainly wasn't a wild dog, Norman was sure. His own fur may have been pretty, but it was full of dirt most days, and this golden dog would have had a hell of a time trying to keep it clean. "W-was that you?" He heard his voice shake, and he shook his head, no, he wouldn't appear so scared. His mother wasn't here - for a moment he felt even more afraid - he had nothing to fear from anyone anymore. His mother was wrong in her shielding, he could have friends. He could say hello. He could..could...could what?

He wondered if he'd be able to join the dog on the other side of the fence, and tested trying to fit a paw through; it seemed a rather hard fit, so Norman decided against it. Maybe it was rude, anyway, to enter this other dog's territory. Norman hadn't thought of that, and he immediately backtracked, withdrawing his head. "I am sorry if I am intruding, it's just...you see, I thought I had..." he struggled for words, "I thought I heard something. I thought it was you." Norman sighed, he didn't like not being able to see the hound on the other side of the fence; "can I come in? I-is that allowed?" He wasn't really sure; maybe this hound would take insult to his words, maybe the hound had been sleeping. Norman had no idea, he only knew he had heard a yelp and wanted to make sure everything was alright. It wasn't that Norman was excessively helpful, he simply wanted to know what was going on.

Word Count: 610

Chuck

Chuck
  • Outsider
  • 7 posts

As Chuck gave the yelp that gave him away, he withdrew his long nose from the slat in the fence, letting it swing back to its spot so that it looked as if it was just another secure part of the fence itself. He hadn't meant to make a noise. He knew there was something there. And, from what he had glimpsed, the other dog actually didn't look that scary. But sometimes when you expected to see something you built it up so much that once you did see it the result was that you were just as scared as if you had wandered around a corner and run right into it. At least, that was what Chuck encountered most days. Maybe that was just something peculiar to him, though. He was more than a little strange at times, or so he had been told anyways. With heart pounding, he took a few steps back from the fence and the outside world. That had been more than enough for one day so far as he was concerned. He was just going to go and collapse outside of the door and wait for the human to come home. The human might be confusing but at least (now) he wasn't as scary as the outdoors.

That had been his intention, anyways. But then there was a voice and the loose board on the fence suddenly moved. The golden dog jumped about a foot straight in the air, letting out another shrill and startled sounding yelp, unable to stop himself from doing so. Oh god, oh god, oh god, it was trying to come inside! It was going to eat him! A nose poked through the slat - an ordinary enough looking nose that could have come from any canine. There was no lifted edges of the muzzle, no teeth gleaming, but Chuck had a perfectly good imagination and he had only just recently met something that had teased and tormented him for its own fun. Memories of Heyoka stuck quite firmly in the mutt's brain still. What if this was another... demon cat monster thing just in another form? He couldn't stop an absolute moan of despair at the thought. He could hardly handle one of those! If there were more he would surely end up as a meal somehow!

But rather than force its way inside of the backyard, the other canine ceased to attempt to enter after sticking both head and paw within and then withdrawing them. Instead a hesitant voice floated from the other side over to the mix. It was enough to give him pause even in his dramatics. The other individual hadn't sounded threatening or demanding. In a way, he sounded very much like Chuck - unsure and hesitant, maybe even a little scared. It was enough for the mix to toss his head a little, one blue eye peeking out from beneath the bangs again even though there was very little for him to look at considering the wood of the fence blocked his view. "You, um, you heard me," the large dog offered with a hesitant and awkward laugh, a noise that was really more a releasing of nerves than a sound of delighted humor. It was a fairly common way for him to try and release some of the tension that built up whenever he was just waiting for the proverbial hammer to fall. The sound of it always made him wince and this time was no exception.

He was actually startled when the other dog asked if it was allowed for him to come in. Chuck could quite honestly say that he didn't know. He had grown up on the streets. This was the first time he had ever been owned by a human. He knew that most dogs did not like others intruding on their territory and that, technically speaking, the owner of this land was the human that had taken him and Mike in. Would the human be mad? And if the other dog came in, how would he get back out and how would Chuck protect himself? He seemed nice now but what if he turned vicious? There were precious few places to hide when you were within an enclosed area and he couldn't just dart inside. There was no one here to make the decision but himself. "I... suppose," he finally responded hesitantly after a long pause. He still wasn't so sure about it, but the other dog seemed nice enough and he couldn't just stand here in silent dread for the rest of the day.

But the world took a spark like a match in the dark and the fire brought me to life

mikechucktag.png

Norman

Norman
  • Outsider
  • 5 posts

{{OCC:}}
Is it nice?
Give me back this pain!
Let me suffer again!

"You, um, you heard me,"

At least he had heard correctly; Norman may not have been as afraid as Chuck, but it didn't mean he was a brave fellow. His worst experiences had all been from his mother, one who could easily outdo the actions done by any dog or dog-like animal - as Norman wouldn't know a coyote any better than Chuck. His mother was less of an actual image in his head, she wasn't the thing of warmth and comfort, and her heard beat wasn't calming like the ticking of a clock. Instead all Norman heard was her voice; he feared even now, as he went to continue speaking to this oddly hairy dog, that suddenly her voice would reach out and grab him by the scruff, and pull him away from having a friend. He blinked and shook his head; his mother wasn't here. He had to remind himself that she wasn't going to come back. Ever. "Mother isn't here," he mumbled to himself, shifted from paw to paw, and then drew his attention back to the fence and back to Chuck.

"A-are...are you..." Norman stammered, "alright? I mean, did something spook you?" He had little idea that Chuck was afraid of him, Norman, an awkward dog who hardly knew the ways of others; maybe he had heard his voice? Norman was well aware of his mutterings, he trusted his voice more than he trusted his mind; his mind, he was sure, was still tethered to his mother in some way. His voice kept him in the present, not the past, and it must have been odd, especially to a pet like Chuck, to hear some stranger waking up and speaking to nothing. However Norman didn't make this conclusion right now; he was more worried that the dog had reacted to something more dangerous; like a rat or another, larger dog. But Norman had seen neither one of those. He even sniffed the air and found nothing; some dogs, some humans, and some rats, but nothing that indicated that they had passed by recently.

"I... suppose,"

Nodding, Norman backed away from the fence, tilted his head, and moved closer to it; he wanted to make sure he had found the correct entrance - for all he knew, this pet dog had a bunch of hidden underground tunnels, like a mole, and could go wherever he please - yet there was a strange lack of dirt in the golden hair. Norman dismissed his silly theory and slipped through the gap in the fence after a few moments of fiddling with the loose board. When he stepped through he seemed to tread lightly, not wanting to disturb the territory of this other dog. Was Norman a friend? He liked to think so; he linked to think that he was kind and wanted to be friendly, but he wasn't quite sure how; not to mention his mother's shadow always looming over him. But a simple chat? That wouldn't hurt, would it? The day had started out so well, and for now, anyway, Norman decided he was free. He must not think of mother.

"Hello." Norman blurted out as he took a seat in Chuck's yard, and took the time to look at the hound. He was certainly well taken care of, but wasn't a purebred, by any means. Not that Norman cared; but he seemed to hear the check list of his mothers' telling him how others' were always so impure. To drive his mother's voice out of his head, he tried to make up some conversation. "It's a...uh, nice day, isn't it? Not too hot, I don't think, but..of course." he chuckled nervously, although he didn't cringe like Chuck it was easy to tell Norman was uncomfortable. "I don't have fur like your's, so maybe you're hot? You look like you have humans' hair, and I hear their hair isn't like ours. It doesn't get fleas, or have different coats, but it just grows forever. How do you keep it so clean?" His odd little tangent ended in a quirky, nervous smile. His tail offered a wag; he wanted to be friendly.

Word Count: 822

Chuck

Chuck
  • Outsider
  • 7 posts

As if Chuck's nerves weren't strung as tight as a bow already, the general hesitant silence that came off of the strange dog really didn't help. Not that he particularly wanted him to be making all sorts of noises - loud noises were just as unnerving in many situations. But that would have been more normal, Chuck felt. He was used to other dogs laughing and barking, growling, making all sorts of loud and scary noises. He was used to his usual companion who could be as loud as the rest of them. He hadn't been around too many dogs that were just still and quiet and he wasn't sure what to make of that. That was what made him nervous; the unknown was even scarier to Chuck than things that were known. How did you deal with things that you couldn't understand or comprehend after all? The soft mutter that didn't make any sense but raised a few of his hackles didn't help either. Like the silence, it had an unsettling quality about it.

But whatever it had meant, it disappeared from one breath to the next. Then the other gray and blue hued dog was seemingly back to actually paying attention to Chuck. He stammered even more than Chuck did, which was a feat all on its own. It was actually a bit surprising to Chuck that the other dog didn't realize that he had been the one to startle Chuck (along with Chuck's very overly vivid imagination, of course). After all, he had been the only thing out in the alley that Chuck had seen. "I wasn't expecting anyone to be out there," he offered by way of a rather shaky explanation. He didn't need to add that he had been working himself up into a mental frenzy about a potential abandonment that he knew wasn't really going to happen. The other dog was a stranger and not only was Chuck not eager to lay his fears out for someone he didn't know to see, but he certainly didn't deserve to deal with the mutt's demons. At least, Chuck was assuming the other dog didn't deserve anything like that, because he was assuming that he was a nice, normal dog and not something that would drive terror into every fiber of his being.

Maybe things would be okay. After all, the other dog didn't try and just burst right in once he was invited. He took a step or two back, seemed to consider things and only then made his way cautiously through the entrance that they had managed to create so that they could slip in and out of the yard when they wanted to (not that Chuck ever really wanted to very much). Maybe he was just as afraid of Chuck as Chuck was of him... although that was hardly likely. After all, the other dog wasn't crouching, hunched down on himself so that he looked about half his size like Chuck was. If Norman had been larger or more intimidating, Chuck probably would have also been shaking so hard that it would have been visible to anyone that took a glance at him. But the other dog was polite, quiet and much smaller than Chuck (although, in the long run, size was never really a mitigating factor in why Chuck was afraid of something. After all, cats were even smaller than this dog and they sent him into fits of panic). The other dog spoke and while the conversation was lacking, more than a bit awkward, it wasn't any better than Chuck could have done himself. Hiding behind someone else and watching? Chuck was the master at that. Making conversation with a stranger... not so much.

"Hello," he responded to the initial greeting with more than a little trepidation evident in his tone, wondering whether or not he was going to end up the meal of some ravenous creature, or perhaps bullied into surrendering the backyard and the human to some stranger. The mix tossed his head just a little bit, moving the strands of fur from his face so that one blue eye could peer upwards at the sky. It was, he supposed, a nice enough day. All thoughts of weather had flown from his mind the minute he was left out here, though. "I... I guess. I'm okay. It..." he trailed off, his eyes shifting back to the fur that flopped right back into his face. "It's just long fur," he commented uncomfortably, feeling more than a bit self-conscious. Chuck had fleeting, vague memories of his parents but he seemed to remember that dog that had been his father having copious amounts of long fur that fell every which way as well. But then, he'd never seen another dog like that or like himself sense so maybe he was just weird and it was some strange genetic trait passed down only to him. "The... the human brushes me and gives me baths." Which were, of course, another source of terror wherein he was sure he would drown, even if the water never even came up past the middle of his legs. It felt more than a little odd to even admit that he had a human. He had spent most of his life on his own, skittering away from anything on two legs. And now, here he was, living with one that he was surprisingly finding that he liked, even if he still had his moments of panic. "You, um... I haven't - I haven't seen you around here before." There. He could contribute, too! Even if the odds of Chuck seeing anyone around their village was a rare thing, given that he liked to stay quite firmly in the backyard or inside the house. It was much safer than roaming around town.

mikechucktag.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users