Welcome to Vagrant
We are a feral dog game set in Japan, based off the Ginga Nagareboshi Gin and Ginga Densetsu Weed manga/animes (though you do not need to be familiar with either in order to play here!). You can read more about the game here. If you already have an account, login - otherwise feel free to create an account and join us!
Photo

a melancholy town where we never smile

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Chuck

Chuck
  • Outsider
  • 7 posts

This was not good. This was so very, very not good. The thought kept repeating itself over and over throughout the tall mutt's mind. Why had he listened to Mikey? Why had he thought any idea that came out of the other dog's mouth was a good idea? It wasn't that Mike was cruel or mean; he was none of those things. The problem was that sometimes his fun really was completely different from what Chuck considered to be fun. Case in point: Today. For whatever reason, the other mutt had decided that they should sneak out of their back yard and go exploring. There were about five thousand things that could go wrong with that, and Chuck had told his friend so, but in the end it hadn't mattered because he had given sway under Mike's charming grin and followed the other dog out of the hole in the fence into the big, wide world.

And it hadn't been so bad initially. Chuck had grown up on the streets. He was used to the sounds of people and cars zooming by him (even if they both made him nervous). He was even used to being alone... or he had been anyways. The problem was Mike was that he lived to jump into the fray. He had a tendency to be reckless and to go dashing off at a moment's notice. Usually he remembered his friend and either cajoled and coaxed Chuck into following after him or he gave it up for another day. Today, apparently, was one of those days where things just weren't going to go the golden dog's way. Because Mike had said something and by the time Chuck had turned around to ask him what he meant, the stocky dog was already off in the distance. For a dog with a permanent limp, Mikey could move fast when he wanted to.

The problem now was that Chuck was alone and he was in a town he wasn't used to. And he, well, he didn't know how to get back home. This had been one of those five thousand things that could go wrong that he had tried to tell Mikey about but no, no one ever listened to him. Not Mikey, not the human that had taken them in; no one. And now here he was, in some back alley street, legs practically knocking together as he began to shake some. Though he was a fairly tall dog it was often hard to tell. Sometimes he looked just as short as Mikey with the way that he hunched down low to the ground, trying to make himself seem smaller, trying to make others notice him less. It usually worked, too. He was counting on it to work because now he had to either find Mikey or find home and he had to do it all by himself.

Slowly, hesitantly, he crept forward until he could poke his long, thin muzzle around the edge of a wall. The ever present fur that hung in his face shifted just enough for one blue eye to peer into the general area. Okay, so far, so good. There really weren't too many individuals around right now. He could handle that. He could deal with that. If only it would stay that way until he crept all the way into his backyard, right up the stairs to the porch, in through the doggy door and collapsed on his bed. He wasn't counting on that, though. Chuck was a pessimist and the odds were almost never in his favor.

There were days when each hour was a war I fought to survive
There were nights full of nightmares and I dreaded closing my eyes
There were skies that burst open with a downpour to drown me alive
But the world took a spark like a match in the dark and the fire brought me to life

mikechucktag.png

Heyoka

Heyoka
  • Outsider
  • 10 posts

Heyoka hadn't really left the village for any length of time. Sure he'd wander out to stay hidden during the day, mostly, but he really found the most interesting creatures in the town. For one, humans were fascinating to him. He probably should have hated them for having been caged his whole life, but he didn't. He didn't hate them, didn't care enough to. Besides, it was so much easier to just let it go and keep going. He didn't forget that people were sneaky and clever, though, of course not, that would be a horrible, fatal mistake. No. He knew humans were dangerous, but, that made it even more exciting. He just had to be that much more clever, and he knew he was.

The morning was cool, and Heyoka wasn't quite done with snooping about the town just yet, so he didn't go and slink back into the forest to hide. He wanted to stick around for a bit, see what was going on, see what he could find. Maybe one of those smallish dogs would make a nice snack, they seemed edible enough, the cats certainly were. He licked his lips, imagining the taste of a nice, fat, juicy small dog. Riv was missing out. He was too nervous, too cautious, then again, he was also not as quick as Heyoka. Having suffered a broken shoulder, Riv really wasn't the fastest coyote. He wasn't the fastest anything, but he still ran pretty fast  holding that one leg up, which he did often. Heyoka hadn't seen his brother since he had taken up scavenging after the humans, which was okay. Heyoka wasn't really bothered by it, though he did have it in his mind to go and look for him sooner or later just to see if he was okay, but not now.

He trotted around a corner into an alley. He didn't mind being out, and he wasn't as cautious as Riv, but he didn't want to go prancing in front of the humans' windows. Not right now anyways. They saw too good during the day. He stopped. A scent was coming down the alley. Strong, fresh. Dog. Too big to be easy pickings, so he tossed that idea out of his mind, but, as that thought went out, a new one rolled in. Heyoka's green eyes narrowed and he grinned, stepping lightly as he stalked around a  garbage bin. He lowered his body,  concentrating, watching a golden furred dog as he nervously sniffed the air and looked around. Oh this was perfection.

It crossed his mind that the dog might be dangerous, but after studying his posture, Heyoka was fairly certain that this dog wasn't going to pose a threat. Without a second thought, Heyoka sprang forward, sprinting, and then leaping into the air behind the dog, giving a loud yip-howl, before dropping down next to the dog and nipping his flank and dancing out of reach. He spun around, laughing at himself.

Posted Image

Chuck

Chuck
  • Outsider
  • 7 posts

Okay. Okay, he could do this. He had done this before. Sure, this town was different from the one he had grown up in but that didn't make that big of a difference, did it? The small whine that was catching in the back of his throat said that it did make a difference but he valiantly tried to stifle that. As much as he just wanted to collapse on the ground right there and give up until Mikey found him he knew he would never get home. And as much as a lot of things scared Chuck, he also knew he had done it before. He knew that it might be a few minutes or it might be a few hours before his erstwhile companion came back. And he knew that if he didn't just make himself do it then he would never know how to get home on his own and then the next time he got stuck outside (though he had resolved to never let Mikey talk him into breaking out without the human that they lived with at their side) he would be able to get himself home.

They were strong, brave, resolute words in his mind. The reality of them, however, did leave him quaking some. What if he ran into a strange human? What if he ran into a strange dog? What if he ran into a lot of strange dogs? What if he ran into a cat? That last thought held him almost paralyzed. Chuck had ran into a few alley cats when he lived on the streets and the encounter never worked out for him. He was, in fact, missing one of the toes on one of his back feet thanks to an encounter with an alley cat when he was a small puppy. It had left a sizable impression on him and he was practically starting to shiver with the thought of running into a nebulous cat somewhere.

Unfortunately, his preoccupation with the imaginary left him open to what was real. Because there was no one there and then, suddenly, there was the sound of something dashing towards him. It took him far too long to put together what that sound meant, because even as his brain was beginning to register the noise and what it might mean for him there was a sudden explosion of sound. A loud, yipping howl of a kind Chuck had never heard before pierced the air right behind him. A loud, panicked yelp of his own came from his muzzle. A second later, that panicked yelp upgraded to a shriek that most humans could envy as he felt teeth brushing against his flank. Chuck had played rough and tumble enough with Mikey to know what a bite was and what a nip was and while his brain provided him with the fact that this was just a nip, it also escalated it out of all proportions. Oh god, he was under attack and he was all alone and where was Mikey and he didn't want to die this was all Mike's fault, this was his stupid idea!

Cringing, he slowly turned his head and then his body, shuffling just a little, blue eyes wide beneath the strands of fur that hid them from most of the world. If it was possible, he crouched down even lower, ears pressing back, tail tucking up underneath him as he caught sight of the creature that had attacked him. It was no dog. Chuck knew that - whether instinctively or logically - and that scared him. What else existed but dogs? If it wasn't a dog, what was it doing here? Why had it come after him? Oh god what if it wanted to eat him? "What... what do you want?" he tried to sound confident, threatening even, but there was very little chance of that ever happening.

But the world took a spark like a match in the dark and the fire brought me to life

mikechucktag.png

Heyoka

Heyoka
  • Outsider
  • 10 posts
Heyoka cackled loudly at the dog's reaction. He spun around in a tight circle and then hopped up and down a few times excitedly. He grinned, tongue lolling out of his mouth, as the golden dog screamed from Heyoka's sneak attack. This was better than he had imagined it would be. Maybe even better than the fox's reaction, and that had been the absolute best he had encountered so far. Much better than the grumpy dog that thought he was above everyone else intellectually. He had been a rather boring fellow indeed, but he had been amusing in his own way. Everyone was amusing in their own way, and Heyoka always found humor in them. Whether or not they also found the humor was another story entirely.

The dog turned slowly around to face Heyoka, and as he did, Heyoka remained perfectly still, standing straight with ears pressed forward, mouth closed. <i>"What... what do you want?"</i> Heyoka remained perfectly still, then cocked his head slightly, as if he
didn't understand what the dog was saying. His eyes looked curious, puzzled, but in his mind, he was thinking of something to freak out
the dog again. Heyoka loved games, and this was a game he devised right at that very moment. Suddenly, Heyoka dropped into a crouch and sprang forward, landing a few feet away from Chuck and clicking his teeth together.

<b>“I want, <i>food</i>!”</b> Heyoka threw his head back and laughed, spinning around again then stopping with his front legs spread and his head lowered, and lips pulled back in a grin. “You wouldn't happen to know where any easy food is, do you? Have you ever tried cat?” Heyoka licked his lips as he began to salivate. “It's delicious!”

Heyoka flicked his ears and stood up, trotting around Chuck like he was sizing the golden dog up. He was, too. He seemed like he wouldn't put up much of a fight, but he'd probably alert the entire town with his screaming. Not worth it. Heyoka was hungry, but he wasn't so hungry that he was desperate to try something so idiotic and rash as trying to kill this large dog. But he enjoyed toying with things that were unfamiliar with him. He loved to make himself laugh, even if it was at the expense of others, but he always felt like they needed to learn something, too. Like this dog, for instance. This dog seriously needed to relax.

Posted Image

Chuck

Chuck
  • Outsider
  • 7 posts

This was not good. This was so not good. The thing grinned, hopping around, and Chuck had to wonder if it was really a demon dog. Maybe it was something worse; some kind of unholy combination of demon and cat. Or... or... well, he didn't know, but his brain could certainly supply all sorts of strange things. He could only cower more, turning some, trying to keep an eye on the creature through his long bangs. For whatever reason, his question stilled the beast and it just cocked its head to the side, staring at him. Did it even understand him? Did it speak the language? What if all it spoke was 'I want to eat dogs, especially ones named Chuck, because they look like tasty snacks'? Not that that was a language that any creatures spoke, so far as Chuck knew, but it might be and this thing might speak it. If it did, Chuck didn't want to know because he definitely did not want to end up as a meal. Never mind that it was shorter than him, rangier than him; it probably had all sorts of dark, evil powers if it was a dog eating cat demon thing.

As if to confirm his fears and suspicions, the creature crouched down before it leaped towards him. The jaws clicked together audibly practically in Chuck's face. And then it declared that it wanted food. And it was all the golden mix could do to stop himself from rearing up and toppling backwards. As it was his paws scrambled against the ground as he gave another startled yelp. He knew it. He just knew it! This was all Mikey's fault! He should have never listened to the other dog! Now here he was being accosted by some sort of perpetually starving demon and there was nothing to save him. He didn't even know if he could outrun a demon. The other canine's lips pulled back in a grin that was practically unholy and then it asked if he ate cats. Well, maybe it wasn't a cat demon then. But that didn't make him any better and the thought of even eating cats... it made his legs begin to shake again. "No," he moaned the words out. "No cats. I just eat... food..." He had scrounged on garbage most of his life and now he was fed whatever the human chose to gave him. He had never once considered doing anything except running from cats ever since he had been attacked by that one.

The other canine trotted around him and Chuck resolutely tried to follow him, turning in the same circle to try and keep an eye on the creature. It wanted food. Did that mean it really did want to eat him? Chuck was really not going to lie down and die. He was surprisingly speedy for a dog his size and who seemed to bumble around a lot. When he was afraid he could really get going. Plus he could run for home, or after Mike's scent. If he found the other mutt that he lived with odds were this thing would leave him alone. Most dogs, or other things, didn't mess with Mikey. And if the human was home he would probably chase this thing away. As much as Chuck had trouble still accepting the human as something trustworthy, he did try and take care of both him and Mike and tried to fix things that scared Chuck. Briefly, Chuck wondered if maybe he shouldn't bring the creature home. Mikey might be there by now. They had food there. If Mike wasn't there, the human probably would be. The problem was if he could lie enough to be convincing. Chuck was fairly certain that he couldn't.

"I don't have any food," he declared. He straightened up just a little bit. Even crouched down he had been fairly on level with the other canine. When he straightened up, he towered over him. That gave him a tiny bit more confidence although in a fight Chuck really wasn't one to do much except look for a way out. Maybe it would make a different to this other, though. Maybe he would just get bored and go away, too. Chuck certainly hoped so. He didn't know how much more of this his heart could take.

mikechucktag.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users